Meet Jennie Garth
Jennie Garth is not only a talented actress and mother, but she is also an avid animal lover. Her career took off with her role as Kelly Taylor on Beverly Hills, 90210; To this day the show is remembered as one of the most beloved and iconic series of all time. In the following years, Garth starred in the series What I Like About You, The Street, and Mystery Girls as well as dozens of television movies. In 2014, she starred in The Jennie Garth Project on HGTV, which documents the renovation of her Hollywood Hills home. Between all her acting, Garth finds time to write books and support causes like Kids Vision for Life, Stand Up to Cancer, The American Heart Association, and Autism Speaks. She also enjoys spending time with her daughters, Luca Bella, Lola Ray, and Fiona Eve, and, of course, her animals. We had the opportunity to chat with Jennie and learn more about her love for animals.
- Q: Did you have a lot of pets growing up?
- A: Yes, I grew up on a horse farm in rural Illinois, so lots of pets! Over the years I had horses, cats, dogs, goats, pigs, chickens, and rabbits.
- Q: Who (if anyone) inspired your love for animals?
- A: I’d have to say my dad really made me a farm girl, and my sisters. There were always kittens or puppies everywhere; who doesn’t love kittens or puppies!
- Q: What was your most memorable experience with one of your animals?
- A: When my goldendoodle, Pearl, was about 2 years old, we had gone on a hike and then met my friend for lunch. Pearl was tired from the hike so I thought she would just chill under the table while we ate, but apparently she got hungry as well. She ate the leg off the chair I was sitting in! Oops!
- Q: How many pets do you have now, and do your daughters have a favorite?
- A: We have 3 dogs, 3 rabbits, 4 horses, 2 cats, and 2 piggies. I’d have to say Buddy (our very old and very fluffy pony is probably our favorite…don’t tell the others).
- Q: How do you pick activities in the summer that are both animal and human friendly?
- A: I like to go RV’ing. I like being able to load the dogs in there and just hit the road without having to worry about planes and hotels that will accommodate pooches. The dogs love those adventures… finding a great hike, or a lake or by the ocean where they can run free.
- Q: If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?
- A: A horse or a dog, I think. They both have a way of looking right into your soul, and I like that sense of connection and kindness.
- Q: Going off of the last question, what is your spirit animal and why?
- A: A bear. The bear’s spirit is grounded in nature and is strong but calm. He also has the courage to stand up to adversity and likes his alone time.
- Q: What inspired you start your show The Jennie Garth Project?
- A: I wanted to document the building of my home that I was in the process of building for myself and my girls. It was sort of a transitional time in my life and building a house felt like the right thing to spend my energy doing.